The Dental Director plans and directs MAO’s program of general dental health services. Performs professional duties in the field of dentistry within the scope of the law of the State of Alabama and implements programs accordingly as needed.
A degree in dentistry (D.M.D. or D.D.S) from an American Dental Association accredited institution; Licensure for practice as a Dentist in Alabama.
5 years previous work experience in clinical dentistry preferred.
- Plans and directs a program of general dental health services.
- Serves as a member of the administrative team.
- Supervise and directs a competent dental staff and assures quality services and care.
- Ensures Staff Dentists only practices in the scope of privileges granted to them by MAO.
- Schedule and conduct peer review activities with staff dentists and hygienists.
- Approves continuing education courses for the dental staff.
- Examines, properly diagnoses and creates the patient’s treatment plan.
- Obtains and records medical and dental history pertinent to obtaining diagnosis.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in interpreting intra-oral and panoramic radiographs.
- Treats diseases and pathologies of the hard and soft tissues of the oral cavity.
- Demonstrates specific clinical skills and understanding in Operative Dentistry, Oral Surgery, Prosthodontics, Endodontics, Periodontics and Preventative Dentistry.
- Appropriately prescribes pre and post –operative medications.
- Administers local anesthesia and analgesia as necessary.
- Provides emergency care as needed.
- Assists in maintenance of dental records, encounter forms and other related tasks.
- Documents legibly and completely in dental record.
- Performs other duties as delegated by the Chief Medical Director.
- Completes necessary continuing education criteria as required by the Board of Dental Examiners of Alabama.
- Follows other policies and procedures as specified in the MAO Employee Handbook.
- Supervises assigned students and interns as they perform patient care.
- Supervises and maintains corrective action for all dental staff.
- Active State of Alabama Dental License.
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer-service skills.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team in a professional health care environment.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of the current standard of infection control protocols, OSHA guidelines, and HIPAA regulations.
Education, Training and Experience Required:
- Holds a degree in dentistry (D.M.D. or D.D.S) from an American Dental Association accredited institution.
- Licensure requirements for practice as a Dentist in Alabama.
- Holds a current Department of Justice AND Board of Dental Examiners of Alabama Controlled Substance Registration certificate.
- Current CPR BLS certification.
Preferred Prior Experience:
- 5 years previous work experience in clinical dentistry preferred.
Team Citizenship and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate self-conduct in a professional manner that represents the respected image and reputation of MAO.
- Uphold practice policies and guidelines as set forth in the MAO Employee Handbook.
- Take responsibility for performance accountability and role in achieving quality customer service, effective teamwork and superb patient care as an upstanding comprehensive dental practice.
- As a licensed dentist, take personal responsibility for continual learning and improvement of your skills.
OSHA Rating: High Risk
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking, bending, speaking and listening on a regular basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed:
- Must be able to read, write , speak and understand the English Language.
- Must be of good report, responsible professional in mannerisms and confidentiality.
- Ability to deal effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be able to meet demands of administrative tasks as well as provide patient dental care.
- Must be able to exhibit supervisory skills.
How to apply
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to DaQuentin Davis, HR Director, at DDavis@maoi.org
Questions relating to this listing may also be directed to (334) 280-3349.