Grants & Contracts Accountant (Montgomery, Alabama)
- Type: Full Time
- Classification: Non-exempt
- Montgomery, Alabama
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in business, accounting or similar area preferred.
- Division: Fiscal
Job Position Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
• Manages and directs billing and expense accounting including all federal, federal pass-through partnerships, state and other grants and contracts that MAO receives.
• Monitors closely budget and expense transactions; assists project directors and their staff in performing account maintenance of grants and contracts including account setup, budget revision, expense transfer, check requests, closing out grants and contracts, etc.
• Prepares monthly financial reports due to funding agencies for billing purposes.
• Conducts periodic meetings with project management, the CFO and MAO’s compliance division staff to review fiscal and performance compliance for all active grant funded projects.
• Serves as fiscal liaison to programmatic departments in assisting project directors and staff with preparing and developing project budgets and managing grants and contracts.
• Maintains knowledge in current development relating to area of responsibility.
• Maintains knowledge of current federal issues relating to Grants & Single Audits of state, local government and non-profit organizations; interprets OMB (Office of Management and Budget) circulars for grants and contracts.
• Maintains reporting of grants and contracts within the accounting system and performs reconciliation of billing to grants receivables, by funder.
• All other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Computer skills; PC literacy in Excel, Word, Adobe, Access, PowerPoint.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business procedures, professional periodicals and technical governmental procedures and regulations.
• Ability to prioritize needs and plan work assignments according to deadlines internally and outside of the agency.
• Ability to communicate effectively and maintain working relationships with people from diverse ethnocultural backgrounds in the area of management, clientele, funders and community members.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, flexibility and ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Self-directed with project management skills and ability to work independently.
• Ability to lift and carry a minimum of 30 pounds; ability to walk between office buildings; ability to see details at a close range; ability to sit at desk or PC for long periods of time; ability to work in an office setting.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or similar area preferred.
• 5+ years of work related experience with grant and fund accounting highly preferred.
• Experience with fund accounting software programs; use of MIP Fund Accounting is highly preferred.
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to DaQuentin Davis, HR Director, at DDavis@maoi.org Questions relating to this listing may also be directed to (334) 280-3349.