Updates & Resources for Patients
Published: August 16, 2021
You have always trusted us with your care, so rest assured MAO will continue providing essential medical services throughout this Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
Scroll down for resources and a special message from our Medical Director.
Dear MAO Patients and Family Members,
Given the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on Alabama communities, we are continuing to adhere to safety precautions to protect you and your care team. Of course, the more we learn, changes may be required, but for the moment:
- MAO remains open. Clients continue to be welcome for face-to-face appointments at MAO’s full service clinics in Montgomery, Dothan, Atmore and Selma full service and at its other off-site Telemedicine clinics. Clients are encouraged to discuss with their provider if telephone and/or telemedicine consultations for wellness visits may benefit them. These options are available at the provider’s discretion as needs and expectations vary.
- As noted, we are continuing to use alternative methods of serving patients, such as telephone visits and telehealth video visits in your home for less urgent cases. These help us continue caring for clients and patients while also minimizing unnecessary or high risk contact which could potentially expose patients and staff to COVID-19, the flu and other contagious illnesses. Again, discuss if these options are right for you with your provider.
- Routine “Wellness Visits” can again be scheduled. During the spring and summer, these visits had to be scaled back to keep patients and staff safe.
- Your health and safety remains our No. 1 priority. We are taking numerous steps to help prevent the spread of Coronavirus, including special cleaning measures and practicing social distancing throughout our operations. Everyone accessing MAO sites are actively being screened for COVID-19 using rapid testing and standard COVID-19 exposure assessments. Face masks are required!
- To Better Serve You: Please call in advance and confirm your appointment, including whether it is scheduled to be in-person by telephone, or by home telehealth video. Patients are encouraged not to just walk-in without calling first. Other information to know:
- If you have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or think you have been exposed, do NOT just visit any MAO facility. Call your provider for direction.
- ALL clients and Clinic patients are routinely being asked to arrive 30 minutes in advance of their scheduled appointment to take part in a rapid COVID-19 test. Call when you arrive. A team member will come out to greet you and administer the test. You will be asked to return to your car to wait for the 15-minute result from your COVID-19 test. If you arrive in less time, your appointment may need to be rescheduled. Alternative waiting area options will be explored for those unable to wait in a vehicle during the test processing time.
- The Copeland Care Pharmacy is again open for regular medication pick ups during regular hours. Make arrangements to address your medication needs with the Pharmacy in advance. Team members will great patients at the door. Face masks are required! Patients may also contact the Pharmacy directly to schedule mail order delivery.
- Behavioral Health therapists visits are available by appointment, in-person, by telephone, or by way of Tele-behavioral Health home video consultation.
- Nutritional Counseling sessions are available by telephone appointment.
- Social Work Services are available by appointment.
- All MAO full service hub sites continue operating their regular service hours. Since there continue to be spikes in case numbers throughout the State of Alabama, hours may periodically be revised for short periods. See the breakdown of regular hours by location HERE. Although many sites are open on Friday’s, staff rotation may only permit routine or the most basic services. Call before visiting.
- FREE and confidential HIV testing can still be done at MAO’s Montgomery and Dothan sites during regular business hours. Appointments are encouraged. Anyone wanting be tested is asked to call from the parking lot and an available team members will come out to you. Those seeking testing in Montgomery, should visit the MAO Wellness Center, NOT the Copeland Care Clinic. For testing in MAO’s Atmore and Selma locations, appointments are required. Interested parties may now also request a home self-test kit from MAO’s Department of Education and Training by calling (800) 510-4704. Kits can either be mailed or a drive through pick up can be scheduled.
Below are some general guidelines to follow if you or a loved one needs medical care:
COVID-19 INFORMATION, CORONAVIRUS TESTING & CORONAVIRUS VACCINATIONS:
For general COVID-19 questions, call 1-800-270-7268 or email email@example.com. Telephone calls are answered from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Interpreters are available. For frequently asked questions and to check your symptoms, visit the Alabama.gov COVID-19 Information Hub at covid19.alabama.gov.
The Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH) has COVID-19 vaccine information available here. You can get registered for your vaccine at the portal or call the state hotline: 1-855-566-5333 (Answered daily from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.). We also encourage you to explore vaccination schedules at the hospitals and care facilities near your home.
Veterans wanting to learn more about their health care benefits during this health emergency should review this U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs document.
MAO is currently administering on-site COVID-19 testing to all visitors to its facilities. Your MAO provider can advise you if you think you have been exposed; however, do not come into the MAO clinics if you feel you have Coronavirus symptoms- call for further instructions. Wear facemasks if you are visiting for any reason.
COVID-19 Vaccine and Booster shots are now available at MAO’s Copeland Care Clinic in Montgomery located at 2900 McGehee Road. Existing patients and their family members may walk-in Monday – Friday during normal business hours.
For the general public, MAO will be hosting a drive-up vaccine clinic on Friday, August 20th and August 27th from 9 AM to 12 noon in the rear parking lot. Please call (334) 280-3349 if you have any questions.
Additional information Alert: The COVID-19 Booster shot is only available for individuals with HIV who have a CD4 less than 200, have uncontrolled HIV, are off their medications or are otherwise immunocompromised. For more information about who qualifies, please contact your provider or check the CDC website at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/immuno.html
TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH MAO, OR TO CONFIRM AN APPOINTMENT:
Please call (800) 510-4704. Please keep us up to date with your current phone number and contact preferences.
FOR MORE ONLINE INFORMATION:
Please visit us here at maoi.org. Follow us on social media @MAOofAlabama (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
FOR URGENT MEDICAL CARE:
If you are experiencing a true medical emergency, please call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. If you think you have Coronavirus, tell the 911 operator. For non-emergency urgent care – if you have Coronavirus or think you’ve been exposed – please DO NOT go to the emergency room or drop by MAO clinics. Instead, first, please explore COVID-19 testing locations near you using the testing location resource page provided by the Alabama Department of Public Health.
We recognize that this continues to be a difficult time for everyone. Please understand that MAO is doing everything we can to ensure our patients continue receiving the care they need. MAO will send out more details as updates become available.
We hope that you and your loved ones stay healthy and safe.
Cordelia Stearns, MD, AAHIVS
RESOURCES FOR YOU