Thursday, May 27th 2021
Breaking Barriers Symposium: DAY TWO
COVID-19 in Alabama
Presented by the Alabama AIDS Education Training Center (Alabama AETC)
and Medical Advocacy & Outreach (MAO)
May 27, 2021
9 AM – 3 PM (CST)
Professional Development: Webcast
Continuing Education: 4.25 contact hours possible
Registration: FREE REGISTRATION (includes audio/video learning experience, course materials and Certificate of Attendance with contact hours)
Partial credit will not be offered. Additional instructions associated with confirmation of credit may be provided at the time of training. All participants may be required to complete more than one evaluation/assessment.
Agenda (Subject to change.):
9:00 – 10:00 AM
COVID-19 in Vulnerable Populations, Michael Saag, MD
• Pending revision.
10:00 – 10:15 AM – Virtual Coffee Break
10:15 – 11:15 AM
COVID-19 Vaccine Updates, Cordelia Stearns, MD, AAHIVS
• Define authorized and recommended COVID-19 vaccines in the United States.
• Discuss COVID-19 vaccine information for specific groups.
• Outline the benefits of COVID-19 vaccination including herd immunity.
11:15 – 11:30 AM – Virtual Coffee Break
11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
Impact of COVID-19 on HIV Linkage and Prevention, Latesha Elopre, MD, MSPH & Anthony Merriweather, MSPH
• Describe the latest research on COVID-19 infection among people with HIV.
• Discuss the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the provision of HIV testing and care.
• Review outpatient triage and management of HIV patients with COVID-19 infection.
• Provide an overview of Health Equity and Social Determinants of Health.
• Describe Health Equity Implications for HIV and COVID-19
• Provide Solutions for the field work
• Provide an overview of Sexually Transmitted Diseases in Alabama.
• Describe the impact of COVID-19 on STD prevention services and linkages to treatment
• Discuss the correlation between COVID-19 and STD contact tracing.
• Explain the importance of disease control in preventing communicable and infectious diseases
12:30 – 1:30 PM – Virtual Lunch Break
1:30 – 3:00 PM
The Impact of COVID-19 on Behavioral Health, Elana M. Parker Merriweather, Ed.S., AADC, BCC, BC-TBH
• Provide an overview of COVID-19 and behavioral health care services in Ryan White care settings.
• Discuss the impact of COVID-19 on mental health issues including depression, PTSD, dementia, ADHD, grief, and suicide.
• Explain the influence of “twindemics” on recipients with co-occurring disorders.
• List practical leadership tips that can be used with behavioral health service providers
3 PM – Closing Remarks, Bretia Gordon, Ed.D., MPA
Continuing Education Considerations
For Counselors, Social Workers and Nurses:
Counselors: Medical Advocacy & Outreach (MAO) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6882. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. MAO is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. This activity has been approved for up to 4.25 contact hour for counselors.
Social Workers: Medical Advocacy and Outreach (MAO) has been approved by the Alabama Board of Social Work Examiners as a provider of Continuing Education for social workers, Provider No. 0134. Exp. 3/31/2023. This activity has been approved for up to 4.25 contact hours (clinical) for social workers.
Nurses: Medical Advocacy & Outreach is an approved continuing education provider of the Alabama Board of Nursing, ABNP 1554, exp. 10/24/2024. This activity has been approved for up to 4.25 contact hours for nurses.
To receive credit, learners must complete the requirements listed here.
-Use your full name and email address when logging in to view the webcast. This is how your name will be recorded for possible CE credit.
-Where prompted, provide your discipline, state, and license number, if applicable. Failure to provide complete and accurate information will delay issuance of CE credit. For Alabama nurses, this is critical.
-Remain logged in for the duration of the presentation. Partial credit will not be offered.
-Learners who join more than ten (10) minutes late or log out more than ten (10) minutes early will NOT be eligible to claim CE credit.
-If you dial in by phone you must also be logged on from a computer or other device that allows you to view the slides and participate in the chat and Q&A portion of the activity.
Following the presentation, a continuing education contact hours certificate/certificate of completion will be emailed to all attendees who successfully complete the requirements for earning credit. Nurses licensed in Alabama will have credit applied to their account within two (2) weeks of the activity.
For questions regarding Continuing Education, please email email@example.com.
Meharry Medical College is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Meharry Medical College designates this live activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Please use the link above only if your credentials are MD.