Department/Group: Social Work/Social Services
Reports to: Division Manager of Social Work
The Medical Social Worker is responsible for conducting biopsychosocial assessments, formulating action plans, and monitoring client progress toward agreed upon objectives for clients of Medical Advocacy and Outreach (MAO). The Medical Social Worker works as a part of an Interdisciplinary Health Team to provide social work service to clients of MAO.
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work. Licensure at the appropriate level through the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners.
Appropriate to duties and requirements as described.
- Provide direct social work services to a caseload of clients at different levels of care as dictated by their care plans to facilitate client retention to medical care
- Collaborate with client’s medical provider to identify and address medical needs related to accessing care and treatment
- Participate in multi-disciplinary healthcare teams and provide leadership in representing the clinical social worker perspectives
- Assure participation of the client, family, and necessary professionals in delivery of treatment services
- Maintain required client records, document services provided, and complete other required paperwork in a timely manner
- Assist in the development and evaluation of patient care policies and procedures
- Maintain compliance with HIPAA and state guidelines as well as MAO policy and procedure
- As with all other positions, during emergencies, the Medical Social Worker is expected to fill in at any position within the agency for which he / she is capable of performing
- Perform any other department / agency related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work
- Licensure at the appropriate level through the Alabama State Board of Social Work Examiners
- Must confirm effective auto-insurance coverage and driver’s license if utilizing a vehicle for work related reasons
- As a medical care-focused agency, annual tuberculin skin test for Tuberculosis will be required, but can be completed at no cost to staff at any MAO Clinic site when available
- Vaccinations for COVID-19, influenza, and other recognized public health hazards will be required to protect self, co-workers and MAO clients
- This position requires an individual who is self-motivated and able to independently complete assigned responsibilities. Moreover, this individual must also be able to accept proper supervision and work cooperatively with clients, peers, and other professionals
- Demonstrate a skilled knowledge of engagement, assessment, case planning, and monitoring techniques to maintain the helping relationship between client and MAO Social Service Department
- Enhance clients’ understanding of HIV by demonstrating and relaying a skilled knowledge of HIV/AIDS related issues and their effects on individuals, families, and special populations
- Maintain a current knowledge of various resources and collaborate with such resources to facilitate client linkage and / or referral to needed services
- Frequent sitting, some standing / walking, and occasionally lifting supplies / equipment up to 50 lbs. Occasional reaching, bending, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
- This position requires an individual who is mentally alert and able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Individual must be able to effectively utilize Microsoft Office programming and, after necessary training, electronic health system and Telemedicine equipment.
How to apply
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter to Human Resources, at MAO-HR@maoi.org
Questions relating to this listing may also be directed to (334) 280-3349.